Connecting Classrooms is a free program that connects schools in the U.S., Spain, and France for a virtual exchange in which students learn about each others’ daily lives and culture through video sharing.
For the third activity, students will create a video showing what daily life is like in their community.
Option 1. Clothing & Shopping
- What do you wear to school? To go out with friends? For what occasions do you get dressed up? (e.g. school dances, religious holidays, special events)
- What are your favorite clothing stores?
- What are the current fashion trends in your city?
- What do you have in your closet?
- Do you usually go to the mall to shop or to individual stores?
Option 2. Sports
- What sports do you play? Where do you play them?
- What sports are most popular at your school?
- What professional sports teams does your city/region have?
- What is the most popular professional sport in your country?
Option 3. Food Shopping
- Where do you go food shopping?
- What specialty shops are there?
- What is a supermarket like? What are the prices like?
- What are your favorite food brands/products?
- What foods are typical to your region or city?
Option 4. Family life
- What styles of homes do you have in your city? (e.g. apartment, individual houses, townhouses)
- Where do you spend most of your time at home?
- What are family meals like? Where do you eat them? When? Who cooks?
- What household chores do you have?
- Do you have a curfew as a teenager?
- What rules do parents have for teenagers? Are your parents strict?
Option 5. Transportation
- Where do you walk vs. bike vs. drive?
- How old do you have to be to drive a motorcycle? A car?
- How do you get your driver’s license?
- What public transportation is available to you?
Here´s a sample video of students showing what food shopping is like in Spain:
Video layout and content
- Introduce yourself and explain the purpose of your video
- Presentation and discussion of topic
- Ending – What questions do you have for students at your partner school about their city and how can they ask you questions?
Video length: 3-4 minutes
Audience: Students at your partner school who are curious about daily life in your country.
- Concept map: Under each category, share what you learned about daily life in your partner school’s community.
- Writing prompt: Before watching the videos, discuss what you know about daily life in your partner school’s community. After watching the videos, share what you learned and what surprised you most.
- Venn diagram: Note the differences and similarities between daily life in your community and that of your partner school.
- Edpuzzle: Create interactive content using your partner school’s video (free & downloadable app from Apple’s App Store or Google Play)
- Connecting Classrooms Activity Three Guide – English
- Connecting Classrooms Activity Three Guide – French
- Connecting Classrooms Activity Three Guide – Spanish